Since its founding by six visionary leaders in 1975, the National Society of Black Engineers, a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization, has grown to more than 32,000 members globally, blossoming into a leading force in the lives of technical professionals and students on college campuses worldwide. NSBE DC Professionals was established in 1989 and officially chartered in 1990 with 20 members led by Harold Goodridge, its first president and a current member of the chapter today. The chapter has been active in the region for nearly 30 years with a strong indelible legacy of excellence and dedication to our members and the community.
The objectives of NSBE DC are as follows:
- Develop the technical and professional skills of our members
- Function as a representative body on issues and developments that affect the careers of Black engineering and technical professionals
- Stimulate and develop student interest in STEM disciplines
- Increase and retain the number of minorities studying engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Promote public awareness of engineering and the opportunities for the black community in the professions