Girls Love STEM Conference
Registration opens on Monday, March 17th!
NSBE DC is pleased to host our first Girls Love STEM Conference with the theme “Expose. Engage. Engineer”. This one-day conference will incorporate hands-on, interactive, and collaborative activities aimed to get minority and underrepresented female students interested and motivated to pursue STEM careers. The conference will take place on Saturday, May 3, 2014 at Trinity Washington University for over 150 Washington DC Metro Area female students in grades 6 through 12.
The Girls Love STEM Conference will include three key components:
Female students in 6th through 12th grades
Trinity Washington University
125 Michigan Ave NE, Washington, DC 20017
Saturday, May 3rd from 8:30am to 4:00pm
NSBE DC - General Body Meeting - March 10, 2014
6:30pm to 8:00pm
BAE Systems Building
80 M Street SE, Washington, DC 20003 (Navy Yard Metro)
An interactive activity where attendees gain experience using the skills needed in the Executive Board
This meeting will include the following:
- Attendees will spit up into the following zone groups: Administrative, Programs, Finance/Membership, and Communications.
- Each zone will have a task to accomplish that will test their existing leadership skills while providing a snapshot of what the NSBE DC Executive Board does behind the scenes.
- By the end of the meeting, attendees understand the skills needed for each Executive Board position.
Chapter Elections are approaching fast and we hope this interactive General Body Meeting will inspire you to run for chapter leadership. Service on the Executive Board has resulted in members taking on greater leadership challenges in the workplace.
The meeting is open to everyone so please make sure to invite people in your network. Networking will commence at 6:30 PM so make sure to get there on time!
After the meeting we will be having a networking social at the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant.
Join NSBE DC as we host our Annual Scholarship Benefit and Awards Jazz Brunch to Raise Funds for our Future Innovators Scholarship program and honor selected scientists and engineers in the greater Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area for their accomplishments and contributions to engineering and the community.
NSBE DC Professionals Future Innovators Scholarship
The Future Innovators Scholarship recognizes and awards students who have demonstrated academic excellence, as well as outstanding service within their communities. It is a merit-based scholarship awarded to graduating seniors pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics who NSBE DC Professionals feels will demonstrate the greatest promise as future African-American technical professionals. Selected candidates will receive a $1,000 scholarship award and formal recognition of their accomplishment.
To apply, students must meet the following qualifications:
● Applicants must be African-American high school seniors residing in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area (limited to Montgomery, Prince George’s, Howard, Charles, and Anne Arundel counties in Maryland; Alexandria City, Arlington, Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Stafford counties in Northern Virginia).
● At the time of application, scholarship applicants must have applied for admission to an accredited college or university in a degree program in engineering, computer science, mathematics, or an applied science.
This year applicants will have two methods of submitting applications, 1) Electronically and 2) Paper. The application due date is Friday, March 28, 2014.
● Electronic applications are not saved and should be completed in its entirety
Paper applications should be postmarked no later than Friday, March 28, 2014 and mailed to:
National Society of Black Engineers Professionals
Washington DC Metropolitan Area Chapter
Attn: PCI Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 2955
Washington, DC 20013